Safeguarding children and young people is everyone’s responsibility. Clearly within football, The FA, as the game’s governing body in England, has a responsibility to put in place the best possible framework to ensure children have fun and enjoy the game safely. However, it’s also a difficult and sometimes complex area that can affect the lives of everyone involved. The details below address the most frequently-asked questions about The FA’s important role in safeguarding.
Safeguarding Children Guidance
We have recently seen major emphasis put on Safeguarding Children and CRB checks.
Clubs have received a number of emails from both Northamptonshire FA and The FA, ensuring that they are adhering to the required standards. Please find below some simple guidelines that we have put together:
- Youth teams require a named coach who holds a CRC (no team is able to affiliate without this).
- Charter Standard requires the named coach to also have a L1 coaching qualification, including the First Aid and Safeguarding (renewal every 3 years).
- Assistant managers should have an FA CRC as a minimum; this will enable them to step in if the named coach isn’t present for training or on a match day for some reason. Best practice would be to also encourage them to attend a Safeguarding Children workshop.
- Parent helpers, if they are regularly helping, and therefore seen as being in a position of trust and able to form relationships, they should have a CRC. If they help as a one off or infrequently, then they do not need a CRC. The exception to this is if any overnight stays take place.
- Committee Members – A non-coaching committee member who hasn’t been through a Safeguarding Children course will be required to complete an online version.
If you have any questions around safeguarding you can contact Northamptonshire FA’s Welfare Officer, Sue Miller, on Sue.Miller@NorthantsFA.com
Read more at http://www.northamptonshirefa.com/clubs/safeguarding-children-guidance#UtWmbLwxjJrS4O1P.99
Earls Barton United FC Emergency Contacts: Welfare Officers
Colette Thompson 07811 326 207
Kerri Baylis 07545 173 291